From:
Kevin Hardwick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Feb 2003 13:54:12 -0500
Lvt430 (as an aside, please do take the time to sign your name--there is
something undignified and deameaning in referring to you as a number) asks
the quite cogent question "what is this thread about?"

The question of why the Civil War was fought is complex in part because it
begs a set of deeper questions.  If we mean by it "why were soldiers
willing to put their lives at risk?" I think we will get a rather different
answer than if we ask "why did the politicians choose to take their
societies to war?"

It seems to me that the political meaning of the war is the more important
question.  I don't mean to diminish the patriotism of the men (and a few
women) in both sets of armies who choose to fight.  But their choices were
already conditioned by the larger political choices of their polities.
And, as numerous military historians have pointed out, from Victor Hanson
to J. Keegan to S. Ambrose, the reasons why soldiers risk death to fight do
not necessarily correlate to the politics which created the war in the
first place.

So at best, the question of why soldiers fight only takes us a short
distance in assessing the larger meaning of the war.  If we want to know
what the Civil War was "about," we will have to look at the politics which
created it and sustained it.  The choices of the soldiers, while appealing,
are only a piece of this larger question, and (if Ambrose and Keegan and
Hanson are correct) perhaps not even a very important piece.

As Professor Gutzman noted some days ago, even that question is complex,
since politicians speak in different forums and for different
audiences--what they say in one context, for one audience, may be quite
different from what they say in other, contexts and for other audiences.

However, I don't think I am guilty of heinous liberal historical revionism
by claiming that the political conversation within which and by which the
decision to launch the war was made was thoroughly implicated in a larger
conversation about slavery.  In that sense, it seems entirely reasonable
and correct, based on the overwhelming preponderance of the evidence, to
say that the war was about slavery.

Warm regards,
Kevin

--