From:
Debra Jackson/Harold Forsythe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Jun 2007 11:28:46 -0400
The idea that a brand new, self-proclaimed nation had a regular army is a
bit of a misnomer.  The militia was a local, mandatory military service
mobilized into national/state service, the "line" I assume were volunteers
under officers who generally had some combat training and experience.  The
real professionals in the Revolutionary War were the British regulars and,
again I assume, at least some of the Hessians.

The distinction between "regulars" and "militia" can have had little meaning
in American history until at least the American-Mexican War, 1846-1848.

Harold S. Forsythe