From:
Debra Jackson/Harold Forsythe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Apr 2007 11:37:35 -0400
New York City (then only Manhattan) dominated the financing and shipping of
raw cotton to Europe.  Cotton was shipped by the coastal trade to New York
then put on ocean clippers for transshipment to Europe.  Thus, American
ships laden with European goods for the American market did not return empty
to European ports;  a simple economic efficiency.  New York City, as opposed
to the State, had an uncertain allegiance to the Union until the nascent
C.S.A. declared New York Harbor an alien port with which the southern states
could no longer have commercial intercourse.  It was only then that the
City's commercial elite threw their lot in with the Union.  Pro-southern
sentiment continued in Manhattan, sparking the July, 1863 riot against the
draft, blacks, and elite white abolitionist Republicans.

I have made no suggestion that the North "made war" on the South.  This is
an extremely complex question.  Paul is of course quite right that the South
made the first armed attack on a Union military facility, Fort Sumter but
Paul also remembers that as early as 1948, Richard Hofstadter (in The
American Political Tradition) concludes that Lincoln deliberately gave the
C.S.A. no good option when he sent the unarmed steamer The Star of the West
into Charleston harbor.

I didn't propose or even imply the Garrisonian suggestion of northern
secession from the South.  Rather, I am suggesting, and let me be more
explicit, is that the 19th century South just like the 21st century South is
as American as peach cobbler.  While it is fascinating to isolate the South
and study it in detail, we don't need to fight the Civil War over again,
which ever flag we may be flying.  America is and was the South and the
South is and was America.  All of the founding states had slavery.  The
lower tier of states carved out of the Northwest Territory wanted to have
slavery but were barred by national law.  There were anti-slavery agitators
in the upper South and even abolitionists born and raised on a plantation in
South Carolina (the Grimke sisters.)  Generations of 'dough face'
politicians, northern Democrats fought to maintain and expand slavery within
the Union.

In its causes, its contestation, and its consequences, the American Civil
War is one of the most complicated subjects in the history of the U.S.  I
consider the Neo-Confederate thesis and its arguments to be trivial.  But I
do not think we can afford to respond with answers that are dismissive or
polemical.  We respond, at least I respond not to the Neo-Confeds.  Charles
B. Dew in his introduction to Apostles of Disunion reminds us that
Neo-Confed notions are taught to southerners in childhood.  Their thesis is
a mythology.  There is, however, a larger audience both within and outside
the American South which desperately wants to know how the modern U.S. was
formed.  It is to those open-minded, curious people to whom I write.  Yes,
the Confederates imagined themselves the 19th century successors of the
'Founding Fathers' and there were some similarities.  But the differences
are worth emphasizing, because those differences, in character, in the basic
conditions of the times, in the regional economic transformations of the
U.S., that insured that unlike the "Founders" the leaders of the C.S.A.
would founder and fail.  Finally, slavery was deeply entangled within the
character of the U.S., not just the South.  The destruction of slavery was
the revolutionary result of a murderous war, where the losses ran so high
such a war would be inexplicable had not it produced an earthshaking
transformative result.

Harold S. Forsythe
Acting Chair
Faculty Seminar for the Program in Agrarian Studies
Yale University