From:
rpmellen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Jan 2016 13:39:08 -0700
Ami
[regarding slaves as property]
“in 1705 the [Virginia] Assembly stated implicitly that ‘all negro,
mulatto, and Indian slaves, in all courts of judicature, and other
places, within this dominion [colony of Virginia], shall be held, taken,
and adjudged to be real estate …”

William Hening, /The Statutes At Large; Being A Collection Of/ /All The
Laws Of Virginia, From The First Session Of The Legislature In The Year
1619 /(New York: Printed for the editor, 1819-23. Facsimile reprint,
Charlottesville: Published for the Jamestown Foundation of the
Commonwealth of Virginia by the University Press of Virginia, 1969),
3:333, quoted in Thad W. Tate, /The Negro in Eighteenth-Century
Williamsburg/ (Williamsburg: Colonial Williamsburg Foundation, 1965), 8-9.