From:
Paul Finkelman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Dec 2005 14:11:42 -0600
The Classic 18th century (founding era) notion of  "Freedom of Religion"
means being free from having your money pay for someone else's religious
beliefs.  Thus, when the gov. uses tax dollars or public land to support
religous monuments (such as Chief Justice Roy Moore's Ten Commandments
monument in the Alabama Supreme Court building) it is an obvious
violation of the notion of Freedom "of" religion.  More importantly, it
an "establishment" (also prohibited) or religion in that it establishes
(in this case) a fundamentalist or at least very traditional Protestant
Chritianity as the "official" religion of the state.

The same would go for using state money to support religious schools.

The First amendment (not the Constitution) by the way, does not say
"freedom of Religion."  It says Congress shall make no law respecting an
establishment of religion or prohibiting the free exercise thereof."

Paul Finkelman

--
Paul Finkelman
Chapman Distinguished Professor of Law