From:
Tameka Hobbs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Feb 2008 15:38:08 -0500
Book Talk at the Library of Virginia

Monday, February 11, 2008

Unruly Americans and the Origins of the Constitution by Woody Holton

Time: Noon–1:00PM

Place: Conference Rooms

FREE EVENT

The Library of Virginia is pleased to announce that Woody Holton will be with
us to discuss and sign his new book, Unruly Americans and the Origins of the
Constitution on Monday, February 11, 2008 at noon. Holton upends what we
think we know about the Constitution’s origins by telling the history of the
average Americans who challenged the Framers of the Constitution, forcing on
them the revisions that produced the document we now venerate. Holton
shows that the Framers who gathered in Philadelphia in 1787 believed that too
many middling Americans exercised too much influence over state and national
policies. In the end, the fact that the Framers were only partially successful in
curtailing citizens’ rights is due, Holton argues, to the reaction, sometimes
violent, of unruly average Americans. Unruly Americans was a finalist for the
2007 National Book Award for Nonfiction.

Holton is an associate professor of history at the University of Richmond, and
the author of the award-winning book Forced Founders: Indians, Debtors,
Slaves, and the Making of the American Revolution in Virginia.

The Library of Virginia is located at 800 East Broad Street in downtown
Richmond.  A limited amount of free parking is available under the building.

www.lva.virginia.gov
804.692.3900