Date:
Tue, 14 Oct 2008 14:47:18 EDT
Freedom of speech is a hallmark of democratic society. It was important
enough that our founding fathers spelled it out fairly succinctly in the FIRST
amendment to the Constitution (not somewhere near the end of the amendments). It
 is important because freedom of expression is one of the tools that a
liberated  people can use to prevent oppression and injustice and to assure the
survival of  democracy. It obviously comes with a price tag.  Citizens will
sometimes be exposed to opinions and viewpoints with which they do not agree.  But
it’s a small price to pay for freedom.

On the other hand, people talk about free speech, but fail to recognize  that
freedom of speech does not cover what a private enterprise can and should
allow.
In case we’ve all forgotten the first amendment:
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or
prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or  of
the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to  petition
the Government for a redress of grievances.
Nowhere does it say that freedom of speech is protected in a private,
non-governmental enterprise.  The Supreme Court has generally agreed  with this
theory.
If this forum is a private enterprise, and not a publicly sponsored
enterprise, some censorship, or "moderation" as some on this forum like to  use in its
place to try to soften their position, seems to me acceptable.   But which is
it?
J South