From:
Paul Finkelman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Finkelman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Nov 2016 16:46:40 +0000
The Notes on the State of Virginia, like so much else TJ wrote, are internally contradictory and, I would argue, self serving.
I assume Professor Meyers is referring to this statement:
“I think a changealready perceptible, since the origin of the present revolution. The spirit ofthe master is abating, that of the slave rising from the dust, his conditionmollifying, the way I hope preparing, under the auspices of heaven, for a totalemancipation, and that this is disposed, in the order of events, to be with theconsent of the masters, rather than by their extirpation.”

This comes at the very end of the famous "Query XVIII" where Jefferson talks about how harmful slavery is to white people and to the master class. But is hard to see this as a "call" for total emancipation.  It is more like a prayer for divine intervention to prevent what TJ really fears, which is a massive slave revolt that will lead to the "extirpation" of the masters.
This is an amazing passage, especially from someone who is a deist (at most) and does not believe in "divine intervention" in human affairs.  In other words, Jefferson is hope that a God, which he does not believe exists, will somehow end slavery peacefully.  Here is one of America's first scientists and political theorists, hoping that a problem will be solved "under the auspices of heaven."
In his earlier section, on "the laws" (Query XIV) he wrote about laws to be considered before the legislature.  He said there was a bill
“To emancipate allslaves born after passing the act. The bill reported by the revisors does notitself contain this proposition;  but anamendment containing it was prepared, to be offered to the legislature wheneverthe bill should be taken up, and further directing, that they should continuewith their parents to a certain age, then be brought up, at the public expence,to tillage, arts or sciences, according to their geniusses, till the femalesshould be eighteen, and the males twenty-one years of age, when they should becolonized to such place as the circumstances of the time should render mostproper. . .”

There are some significant issues with this passage that need to be explopred. While TJ says it is a bill "to emancipate all slaves born ..." he immediately says that the bill sent by the revisors did not contain this provision, but rather it was going to be "offered" as an amendment "whenever the bill should be taken up."  The implication here is that TJ supported this bill and this plan.  But what the Notes do not say, is that Jefferson was the chair of the committee to revise the laws, and he killed the gradual abolition proposal in committee, and that by the time he wrote the Notes, this bill was dead.  Thus, if we read the Notes we are left with the very false impression that TJ is advocating gradual abolitionin VA, when he is not.

Paul FinkelmanArielF. Sallows Visiting Professor of Human Rights LawCollegeof LawUniversityof Saskatchewan15Campus DriveSaskatoon,SK  S7N 5A6   [log in to unmask]
c) 518.605.0296 (US number)