From:
Craig Kilby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Apr 2015 12:14:00 -0400
Here’s a topic I, for one, would like to have a better grasp of. MONEY. I’m currently abstracting Richmond County Deed Book 15, which spans the years 1779-1778. It is an interesting period, covering both the war years and the post war years during the Confederation period. The consideration money for these deeds may say “current money of Virginia”, “lawful money of Virginia”, “specie”, “currency of Virginia” and in one case was tied to the price of corn.

Even in the early 1800s one still sees reference to pounds, shillings and pence in one document, and in the next, dollars and cents.

My question is this: can someone point me to a good article (or book, or source) on the subject of currency in Virginia in general, and this period in particular? I know it can be a complicated subject, wrapped up as it is in banking and state’s rights and lots and lots of politics.

Craig Kilby
Kilby Research Services
www.craigkilby.com