From:
Hollis Gentry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Apr 2003 17:04:18 -0800
Brent,

This database is of tremendous value to researchers,
especially those looking for petitions relating to
free Negroes and slaves.  Although I'm researching
Norfolk's African Americans, I found the database to
be very useful in locating source information on
petitions dealing with subjects such as slavery,
manumission and African colonization in other counties
within the state.

I recently compiled a list of Norfolk-area and other
county petitions using Loren Schweninger's microform
project, Race, Slavery and Free Blacks, but could not
find citations that would lead me to the original
petitions.  This database fills in the gap.

Hollis Gentry