From:
Anne Pemberton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Feb 2002 14:27:57 -0500
Bill,

         As I said, I'm very ignorant of the problems during reconstruction
beyond the mention of carpetbaggers coming down and taking political jobs
from locals. Can you give me a "quick and dirty" summary of what else was
done? I'd love to read the books you mentioned but really don't have the
time around other responsibilities. But you have aroused my curiosity.

                                                         Anne

At 01:27 PM 2/9/02 -0500, you wrote:
>In a message dated 2/9/2002 11:38:01 AM Eastern Standard Time, Richard Dixon
>writes:
>
> > it is my
> > opinion the "damnyankee" came not from the war, but from the period of
> > Reconstruction, a somewhat unknown era of American history.
> >
>For many the period of reconstruction was probably a more difficult
>"humility" than military defeat. However, there have been some excellent
>works written on reconstruction. Two that I found useful in looking at the
>psychological impact as well as the more commonly addressed economic and
>political issues and that are pretty accessible are _Rehearsal for
>Reconstruction: The Port Royal Experiment_, Willie Lee Nichols Rose and _The
>Era of Reconstruction, 1865-1877_, Kenneth M. Stampp.
>
>Bill Russell
>
>To subscribe, change options, or unsubscribe, please see the instructions
>at http://listlva.lib.va.us/archives/va-hist.html

Anne Pemberton

http://www.erols.com/stevepem
http://www.geocities.com/apembert45