From:
Anita Wills <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Mar 2009 11:00:52 -0700
I beg to differ, as some of my ancestors who were Mulatto, Free Negro etc., fought in the Revolutionary War. As far as I know those who fought in the Revolutionary War were citizens. They received pensions, paid taxes, and were awarded Bounty Land. That would be my definition of an American.

I wrote an article recently and someone commented and asked me why I referred to them as Mulatto. I told him that I was writing about Colonial Virginia, and used the language from that period.

Anita