Date:
Thu, 12 Jun 2008 11:02:34 -0500
I also originally thought Brent Tarter's speculation was likely correct.
However, addtional postings induced my finding the following photo of the
marker that does indeed beg to mean the "country's" first elected black
official:
http://www.hmdb.org/marker.asp?marker=5614

Also see the listing for Langston here:
http://www.brownhorizonscircleoffriends.com/blhifa.html that states:
"- 1855: John Mercer Langston, a former slave, is elected clerk of Brownhelm
Township in Ohio. He is the first black to win an elective political office
in the United States."  It seems if something is repeated often enough it
becomes truth.

Jon Kukla's posting that originated this thread didn't mention his quoted
info was only a two-paragraph excerpt from a long article written by Kevin
Merida for the Washington Post on June 6, 2008.  So Merida is the writer who
did not research his story and simply furthered an appparently erroneous
claim.  For the rest of 'his-story' see the following:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25013601/

It seems to me that Merida's article contains exaggerations such as
'soaring' orator,  'expert' in constitutional law, 'community organizer' and
about Langston's part in the formation of Howard University, for examples,
that disfavor an otherwise well-accomplished man in his own right.  Parts of
the article are also rather racist that might be held at distance by Barack
Obama after awhile.

Neil McDonald