Date:
Wed, 10 Jan 2007 17:46:26 -0500
All righty.
I've gotten the word that some of you would like to have my mother's Ham
Biscuit "receipt".
I'm taking the liberty of putting it straight to the List so you can take it
or leave it.
The recipe I'm going to give you is the one that evolved over the course of
her 88 years and it's truly awesome. People who don't even care for
Smithfield ham have been known to crave these biscuits.
First of all, when silver dollar biscuits became too hard to find anymore
(after Crum's Bakery in Newport News closed) Mother switched to none other
than Pepperidge Farm Party Rolls.
I know. I know. That sounds like heresy but bear with me.
Break open the biscuit (roll) and on one side of it spread some
butter.....real butter, please, not margarine.
On the other side spread a generous layer of, none other than, Texas Pete
Honey Mustard (this was a later in life concession to making her own
sweetened mustard concoction).
Between those two pieces of the roll place 3-4 slices of paper-thin
Smithfield ham....neatly trim the edges and cut away any excessive pieces of
fat.
Wrap the biscuits in tin foil and put them into an oven warmed to about 375
degrees.
Only leave them in there for about 5-8 minutes...just long enough to melt
the butter and warm things up.
Serve them immediately upon leaving the oven as they are best served warm.
Now I KNOW that this is a severe variation of the traditional cold ham
biscuit that is served on hard tack.
But this is one of many  receipts that won my mother the reputation for
being a fabulous cook.
Just do yourself a favor and try this.
Then, if you would like, I'll give you her receipt for fried simlins!
Now who KNOWS what they are?