From:
Arend Flick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Aug 2023 16:19:49 -0700
Would someone happen to know if there were seventeenth century land patents
or grants that simply didn't make it into the patent books or *Cavaliers
and Pioneers*?  I am befuddled by a very specific reference in T. E.
Campbell's book on Caroline County (*Colonial Caroline*), published in
1954, to a grant to a Thomas Hoomes in 1667 for 3000 acres "On a swamp
leading into north bank of the Mattapony, below the Lewis grant." There is
absolutely no record of this grant in the patent books (that I can find) or
in *C & P*. Perhaps Campbell, researching in Caroline in the late 40s or
early 50s, had access to some sort of county record (or whatever) that just
didn't make it into any of the usual sources? This is not the only large
grant he refers to in very specific terms that I simply can't find evidence
of elsewhere. (Some confusion, by the way, between "Hoomes" and "Holmes"--a
Thomas Holmes did a lot of patenting NE of this area at about the same time.

Thanks for any help!

Arend Flick