From:
Kevin Joel Berland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Jun 2007 09:58:31 -0400
And yet labeling certain positions PC is itself stifling.  In most cases I've
seen, the person who wields the label uses it to dismiss an idea or a statement
of an idea.  Most ideas thus dismissed are by no means "accepted by all and
uncontroversial."  Calling something PC is to refuse to engage with the idea
itself.  As for defining PC as simply raising hackles, I think it's partly
true, but once again it reduces the matter to expression and not issues: what
of the values and principles underlying the response of hackle-raising?

On Thu, 31 May 2007 21:04:55 -0400  Discussion of research and writing about
Virginia history