Date:
Tue, 9 Oct 2007 14:59:35 -0500
Our founders did not establish this 'first Tuesday after first Monday'
voting practice; a uniform date for chosing presidential Electors was first
instituted by the U.S. Congress in 1845 although there are still exceptions
amongst the states.  Any search engine (I prefer Google) will reveal 'many'
sources that explain and discuss the whys and wherefores.  Simply enter the
quoted phrase as the search term.  More details may be learned from a Google
*book* search using the same search term.
Hope this helps.
Neil McDonald