From:
Curtis Cleveland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 May 2004 01:05:40 -0400
Hello,

I have just joined the list and am seeking information about a conflict
between Virginians ( presumably militia ) and Cherokee sometime in 1758 or
1759. I've only been able to find vague accounts of it but apparently
about 100 Cherokee and and unknown number of Virginians were on an
expedition together against some other Indians ( presumably Shawnee ) when
the Cherokee lost a lot of their equipment in a difficult river crossing.
The Indians were in a difficult situation and the whites refused to share
their supplies. The Cherokee stole some horses from the Virginians who
pursued and attacked them.

Supposedly this incident was a factor in stirring up the border unrest we
have come to know as the "Cherokee War" but if it was an influential event
it seems poorly documented. I can only find fragments on the Web. Does
anyone know what happened and when?