From:
"Richard E. Dixon" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Mar 2002 18:13:43 EST
In a message dated 3/28/2002 12:44:59 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

>  What "direct evidence" would survive such a real, but now quite
>  anachronistic property relationship?  Marriage certificate?  Civil suit
>  for child support?  Rape charges?  Challenge to the filing of
>  Thomas Jefferson's will, in the interest of his offspring?

Mr. Forsythe:
The lack of any evidence that Sally Hemings was even in the consciousness of
anyone at Monticello effectively rules out that her sex life was under
Jefferson's scrutiny, whoever she might choose to have impregnate her. I know
it is a popular argument with those who come to their decision through some
power of perception which doesn't require evidence to pose the query, "Well,
what do you want-"Marriage certificate?  Civil suit
for child support?  Rape charges?  Challenge to the filing of
Thomas Jefferson's will, in the interest of his offspring?"
No, but something would be helpful. Why don't you start with a witness to
them touching in some way? No, that's too difficult. How about laughing or
talking to each other? Still too tough. Let's make it easy. Describe a time
where they just looked at each other. That shouldn't be too hard. They must
have looked at other once during 35 years if they had four (five, six?)
children together. You have many people for possible witnesses who would have
observed a look, the grandchildren of Jefferson who lived at Monticello, the
daughters, the brother, sister and nephews, not to mention the hundreds of
visitors, and of course, the family of Sally Hemings.