From:
Elizabeth Whitaker <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 19 May 2008 12:34:05 -0400
One factor in the number of service members
in a war compared to the total number of
available bodies was the military's own
screening. The military has had health and
medical standards for its incoming recruits
since at least the onset of the 1917 Draft.

I have seen scattered references to military
services' rejection of candidates in World
War II, but have not done any organized
research on this, just casual reading. Studs
Terkel (HARD TIMES) may have something about
this. I've seen something more recent with a
last chapter on the long-term health and
educational effects of the Depression on
folks who were born before its onset but grew
up during the 1930s, but don't remember the
title. (I do know I don't own this book.)

Elizabeth Whitaker