From:
Randy Cabell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Randy Cabell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Jan 2006 15:49:56 -0500
Amen.  We should be happy we at least got Virginia.  Remember those old (ca.
195? )episodes of THE GRAY GHOST?  It was all about Col. John S. Mosby
galloping around Virginia (with foothills that looked a lot like the
outskirts of Burbank), and the the theme music....... choke.......
gasp...... the music was THE YELLOW ROSE OF TEXAS.  OUCH!!!!!!!

Closer to home, and time, yet in the spirit of "we (re-)create what we think
it should have been" I do recall a living-history French military unit (in
beautiful white uniforms and hailing from Rhode Island I think) at the 1981
Yorktown Bicentennial celebration playing "La Marseillaise" on their fifes
and drums.  And I believe that the French flag which was used on all the
signs down there was the tri-color.  Both came along a decade or so later,
with the French Revolution.  But I suspect the graphic-artist contingent had
a say with the signs, because white with gold fleur de lis don't show up
well with the red white and blues of the American and British flags.
Anybody else remember that?

Come to think of it, did I see similar signs just recently in the
Jamestowne/Yorktown corridor?

Randy Cabell