From:
Anne Pemberton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Mar 2004 21:25:25 -0500
Mr. Bearden,

No, I did not know that Jeff Davis adopted a black child, but I have been
told that such adoptions were a common way for former confederates to
attempt to continue slavery. It was discussed on this list some time back. I
do know that Jeff Davis, to avoid capture, dressed in women's clothes and
fled Richmond unsuccessfully. From what I have learned of Jeff Davis in
researching my web site on Five Forks, I suspect there was some sort of
catch in his passing on his plantation to his former slaves. Unfortunately,
I don't know what it was.

    Jeff Davis was really not one of the confederates worthy of honor.
Robert E. Lee was. But not Jeff Davis. As president of the confederacy, he
exceeded the powers of the leader of such a government, from the draft to
taxation, he dictated to the states rather than follow their lead. Lee
criticized Davis for his late agreement to draft colored troops (slave and
free) because of Davis' fear of arming these folks. When Davis finally
agreed, it was too late. The newly created black units paraded in Richmond
days before Lee's surrender at Appomattox.

I really didn't need you on the pro side. Could you have done as effective a
job on the con side?

        Anne