From:
Jon Kukla <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Nov 2010 14:29:20 -0400
He'll want also to look at

The nation's crucible : the Louisiana Purchase and the creation of America
/ Peter J. Kastor. --    New Haven : Yale University Press, 2004.

Peter J. Kastor "Jefferson and slavery," in Seeing Jefferson anew : in his
time and ours / edited by John B. Boles and Randal L. Hall. --
Charlottesville : University of Virginia Press, 2010

And there may be an article in the thematic encyclodepia : The Louisiana
Purchase : emergence of an American nation / Peter J. Kastor, editor. --
 Washington, D.C. : CQ Press, 2002

Joseph G Tregle's Louisiana in the Age of Jackson: A Clash of Cultures and
Personalities picks up the story where Kastor's Crucible ends

And if you get into any aspect of legal history, be aware that Warren
Billings, Mark Fernandez, Judith Schafer and their students have challenged
and are rewriting the old view put forth by George Dargo.

E.g. Warren M Billings; Mark F Fernandez, eds., A law unto itself? : essays
in the new Louisiana legal history --  Louisiana State University Press,
2001

George Dargo, Jefferson's Louisiana : politics and the clash of legal
traditions - Harvard University Press, 1975

Jon Kukla
www.JonKukla.com <http://www.jonkukla.com/>
Online interview : http://www.virginiavoice.org/celebrity.html