From:
"Hardwick, Kevin - hardwikr" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Mar 2012 20:15:03 +0000
Henry Wiencek's comment below strikes me as spot on.  The implications of his point speak directly to the contemporary dilemma that we confront, not only as responsible educators but also as politically active and engaged citizens.  As political theorists from Aristotle forward have in various ways noted, a certain kind of emotional attachment to the polity is a precondition for wide-spread political participation.  For Jefferson (to take just one example), the long-term success of the Republic depended on the continued existence of an actively and thoughtfully engaged citizenry.  One of the many roles that the study and promulgation of history has played is to produce, replicate, or reinforce that sense of attachment.  In this sense, history is a kind of myth.

Much of the very best impulses in modern historical study has been to unmask such mythological conceits, and to problematize conventional narratives and stories.  Unmasking carries its own risks, however, since the laudable urge to expose the occlusions, omissions, and other work that myths perform to entrench power relations can on occasion serve the interests of creating new ones.  Some theorists argue that *all* mythologizing valorizes some persons at the expense of others.  As an aside, I found very helpful in thinking about such issues the short book by Ian Hacking, THE SOCIAL CONSTRUCTION OF WHAT?

Anyway, our aspiration for truthful historical textbooks risks becoming paradoxical.  If a thriving and successful republic requires thoughtfully engaged citizens, and if historical or foundational myths play an important role in sustaining that engagement, then what is or should be the role of historians?  I confess I lack good answers to this question, but it certainly was the case that the dilemma was fully on display in the public criticism to which Dr. Wallenstein, myself, and others had to respond.

All best wishes,
Kevin
Kevin R. Hardwick
Associate Professor