From:
Anne Pemberton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Nov 2006 15:23:06 -0500
Fred,

Thanks so much for pointing out the historical accuracies in the Pilgrims'
Thanksgiving. Yes, I will correct the apostrophe. Even my English teacher
friend missed that!

I know Algonquin Indians do not usually use tents, but thought they might
when the were out of the village for the night. I guess they would have just
slept on the ground inside the village wall, or have them return to their
village en masse.

I couldn't find a better picture for the runner. I changed the color of the
running outfit to make it look more like a skin. I guess I didn't fool
anyone! I am not artistic, and must depend on clip art and pictures I
harvest from the Internet. Often pictures on the Internet are smaller than I
need, and I mess them up a bit when I change them to fit the space - 400 x
350 pixels.

The reason for hopscotch was that it was listed on the Plimoth Plantation
site as one of the games Pilgrim children played. I did get into it a bit
much, but thought the modern children, who may or may not play hopscotch
would enjoy it. Tennis was also mentioned as a Pilgrim game, but I couldn't
imagine how they could have made rackets out of stuff available.

The Plimoth Plantation listed a possible menu for the Feast, and made no
mention of fish, so I left it out. They said swan was a desired fowl for
eating, and I knew it would give kids pause to think about using a beautiful
bird for basic food. They would certainly gross out over eel, and I may
substitute the eel for the swan in the story.

I will take out the potatoes. You are right that sweet potatoes are a
Virignia crop. I thought the English ate a lot of potatoes, but you say not
at that time, so I will change it, and limit the veggies to corn beans and
squash. I'm not sure that the Indians taught the Pilgrims to grow corn,
beans and squash in the first year, but will allow it since it does show
that the Indian instructed the Pilgrims rather than the other way around.

I will take out the reference to Plimoth Rock, since I also saw on the
Internet last night when I was checking some of my sources, that that was
added later.

Internet sources say that the Thanksgiving feast was late October to early
November. The feast was supposed to be just after the harvest and there
would have been something blooming even if just weedy flowers.

Thanks so much for the thoughful corrections. I'll let the list know when
I've made them, so you can help me with anything I've still messed up on. I
do like to keep history accurate as far as I can for the kids.

Anne

Anne Pemberton
http://www.erols.com/stevepem
http://www.erols.com/apembert