From:
Kevin Gutzman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Jan 2017 13:49:38 +0000
I don't have any information about the line you're investigating, but I can offer this: that wasn't an f, it was just an old-fashioned way of writing the letter s.

Kevin R C Gutzman, JD, PhD
Professor and Chair
Department of History
Western Connecticut State University
Author of, among others, THOMAS JEFFERSON--REVOLUTIONARY: A RADICAL'S STRUGGLE TO REMAKE AMERICA (St. Martin's Press, 2017 (forthcoming);
JAMES MADISON AND THE MAKING OF AMERICA (cloth: St. Martin's Press, 2012; paper: St. Martin's Griffin, 2013); and
THE POLITICALLY INCORRECT GUIDE TO THE CONSTITUTION (Regnery Publishing, 2007).