Date:
Tue, 9 Sep 2014 10:25:29 -0400
A rapid influx of Virginians, both slave and free, compromised the French
culture of early Missouri long before the Compromise in  1821--controlling
the economy, filling top leadership positions pre- and post-statehood,
revolutionizing Indian policies and fur trading, and ultimately making
Jefferson a most-admired hero, second only to his native state, as
measured by named monuments and even the capital of  Missouri.
The Surge of Migrations following the Louisiana Purchase had its
origins in the Revolutionary War Era when George Rogers Clark
invaded the Illinois Country and claimed the region for Virginia.

What is missing from most of the posts on this issue is  SPECIFIC
INFORMATION!  For more details and explanations, see my  books:
Founding St. Louis: First City of the New West (2011) and  Historic
St. Louis: 250 Years Exploring New Frontiers (2014).

J. Frederick Fausz
History Professor
University of Missouri-St. Louis

In a message dated 9/8/2014 3:42:02 P.M. Central Daylight Time,