From:
"Finkelman, Paul" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Sep 2014 17:07:16 +0000
Mr. Trent:

I don't think you will find too many slaves buried with their white owners. The occasional family slave may have received that recognition, but most slaves were treated as property.

One thing to remember, MOST slaves were not owned by small slaveholders.  They were living on plantations (defined as more than 20 slaves). On the other hand, most slaveowners owned fewer than 10 slaves.  [Imagine a county where one master owns 100 slaves and another owns 75 and ten master own 5 slaves each.  Most masters own fewer than 10 slaves; most slaves -- the vast majority are on large plantations.]

Most studies suggest that slaves on small farms were worse off than those on plantation.  Richer masters (large slaveowners) had more resources for food; the larger slave community allowed for some privacy for slaves -- living in slave quarters.

Also, there was greater turnover among small slaveowners.    James Oakes book The Ruling Race, demonstrates that many small farmers wen in and out of slave holding, as the economy went up and down. So slaves owned by small farmers were more likely to be sold and sold more often.

The worst time for a slave was when the master died.  That would lead to settling an estate and dividing property.  While some wills specifically gave individual slaves to specific heirs, most wills just divided the property, and the best way to do that was at auction.   This was true for small farmers and major planters -- think of all of Jefferson's slaves being sold off!  Not a pretty cite.  The Master of Monticello freed his blacksmith Joseph Fossett, (who was a Hemings) but Jefferson did not free Fossett's wife and eight children, who were subsequently auctioned off to at least four different purchasers [I discuss this at greater length in the last chapter of Slavery and The Founders:  Race and Liberty in the Age of Jefferson (3rd ed., M.E. Sharpe, 2014).  Fossett spent the rest of his life trying to locate and purchase his family.
Fossett may have been a favorite of Jefferson (and a relative of his mistress and half-sister-in-law, Sally) but he and his family were not buried by the grave of the master.

Paul Finkelman
Senior Fellow
Penn Program on Democracy, Citizenship, and Constitutionalism
University of Pennsylvania

President William McKinley Distinguished Professor of Law, Emeritus
Albany Law School

518-439-7296 (p)
518-605-0296 (c)

www.paulfinkelman.com