From:
Richard Lowe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Feb 2003 07:56:08 -0600
> the apparent absence of significant grass-roots resistance
> among white southerners to secession.
>  I am wondering if there was any significant public outcry across the

> South against secession.

   Well, there WAS the case of western Virginia (aka West Virginia).
:-)

   In Texas there were enough Unionists in the north-central part of
the state to lead to the largest "lynching" in U.S. history, the "Great
Hanging" at Gainesville. (See Richard McCaslin's TAINTED BREEZE for the
full story.)

   In every southern state there were pockets of Unionism. Northern
Alabama is a good example.