Date:
Thu, 30 Aug 2001 14:43:34 EDT
Mr. Forsythe (from Fairfield U.):

Thank you for your comments. I never suggested, nor do I ever suggest that
quotations, or any one single item of evidence will resolve the "state's
rights", "collective rights", "patriotism" or other issues about a sovereign
state, nation, or group. I was simply suggesting to the gentleman from
Colorado that people, particularly here in Virginia felt more "loyal",
"patriotic" or passion for a cause AS Virginians instead of as Americans. I
certainly think that times have changed. Indeed, my family has sent a man to
fight in every country this war has fought, from the Revolutionary War to
Desert Storm. Having said that, during W.W.I and W.W.II,  we rallied around
the men in my family to fight as Americans in those wars.

On another front, though, I think that's part of the discussion SINCE 1865,
the causes of the War Between the States. I simply feel that slavery wasn't
the only reason for the fighting. It was a collection of "evidence" (in your
words), since 80% of people in the "Confederate South" didn't own slaves,
they had other reasons, particularly high tariffs, slave vs. free state
western expansion, industrialization vs. agrarianism, commerce, religious
awakening. Part of my mother's family lived in western Virginia. They were
poor farmers, owning less than 100 acres per person.
They never owned slaves, as they lived off the land and couldn't afford
slaves. They lived in an area of western Virginia where less than 2% of men
owned slaves. They certainly didn't fight for slavery or its brutal
practices, they fought for Virginia.

I've only given examples based on my family's experience, plus my own
education into the subject. I would be interested in your comments. I think
learning about this country -  despite the problems, is a good thing...

Kristyn Ankrom
Colonial Heights, VA