From:
paul finkelman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Feb 2003 22:29:06 -0600
I think Constantine overstates the "antislavery" nature of the Union in 1860;
had the South stayed, the Democrats (controlled by southerners) would have still
held the Senate with no chance of Republicans ever controlling it; southerners
were still a majority on the Supreme Court, and counting the doughfaces on the
Court, it was *entirely* proslavey with McLean and Curtis gone; Lincoln won
close races in much of the North and might every well have lost in 1864;
furthermore, the proslavery Union of 1787 admitted that the national govt. could
ban slavery in the territories (Ordinance of 1787 repassed in 1790 or 91); the
south now had a Supreme Court decision saying this could not happen; If
anything, the laws of the nation were *more* proslavery in 1861 than 1787 or
1790 or even 1820.  The bargain of 1787 was not that the South would always
control the presidency, but that the U.S. Govt.  could NEVER end slavery in the
existing states; that remained and Lincoln recognized it.  Only the war allowed
that to change.

In 1787 the South was a minority, with according to the analysis of the age,
only 5 of 13 states.  Del. was considered northern.  By 1860 there were 15 slave
states (Del was now clearly southern) and only 18 free states; the South had a
greater % of the states in 1860 than 1789.

I would ask Constantine, whose analysis I also find interesting and useful, to
offer some concrete examples of how in 1861 the bargain was breached.

Paul Finkelman

--
Paul Finkelman
Chapman Distinguished Professor of Law