From:
Randolph Cabell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Nov 2002 06:41:49 -0500
Each year this time, I have to listen to my New England friends wax eloquent on the First Thanksgiving, aided and abetted by Art Buchwald's hilarious annual article on 'Les Peaux Rouge"  and "Le Jour Donne Merci".

Other than the service at Cape Henry before Jamestowne was even a gleam in anybody's eyes, I cannot find any specific reference to a service of Thanksgiving at Jamestowne.  In fact, contrary to the late-comers up Plymouth way in 1620, relations with the native Americans  ("Peaux Rouges") in Virginia apparently soured early on and there was lots of outright hostile action.

Anything that might be construed to be a Thanksgiving service?

Randy Cabell