From:
James Hershman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Jan 2007 11:24:27 -0500
Harold,

Two things on this matter. First, I would suggest reading, if you
haven't, Sheryll Cashin's excellent book_The Failure of Integration: How
Race and Class Are Undermining the American Dream_. She deals especially
with black gentrification in Prince George's County, Maryland but also
she cites some interesting Northern Virginia examples.

Second, about gentrification in the Northern Neck--I remember my
students at UVA back in the 1970s, when I was teaching Afro-American
History (a period piece), describing what was beginning to happen in
that region of Virginia. Even then, a lot of retirees (mostly white)
were moving in and the land, especially near the water was becoming very
valuable. Because the railroad near went down there after the civil war,
the land had not had much value in the late 19th century, so it passed
often into the hands of black watermen or farmers. A century later their
descendants were beginning to get high prices for that land--perhaps the
working out of justice, in a way.