From:
John Smith at dhova <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Smith at dhova <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Sep 2009 09:36:32 -0300
As is so often the case with VA-HIST questions, I do not know enough to give
an intelligent answer here.  The one example of which I know is Pastor
Muhlenburg in Woodstock (or maybe it was just up the Valley Pike in
Strasburg.)  Germans had come down from Pennsylvania and had a strong
presence in the Valley of Virginia by the middle 1700.s   They wanted their
own church service (Lutheran), and petioned somebody, probably in
Williamsburg.  It was agreed that they could, but that the minister must
also be ordained in the Church of England, so Pastor Muhlenburg went to
England for a year to pass the Anglican Muster, and returned and conducted
services, apparently to the satisfaction of all.

A sidelight not related to the question at all, but an interesting piece of
history.  When the British surrounded Boston in 1775, and the Southern
Colonies sent troops in support of the New England Troops, Daniel Morgan
marched his Virginia Militia up there from the Winchester area.  And as a
prelude, Pastor Muhlenburg had addressed his congregation on Sunday morning,
winding up his sermon "There is a time to pray and and time to fight, and
this is a time to fight."  At which point he threw off his ecclestical
vestaments and appeared in the uniform of a Virginia Militia officer!  The
story is that that the men in the congregation rose, followed him out of the
church and thence to Boston.  A closing observation: We don't hear sermons
like that much any more :-))

Randy Cabell