From:
Excalibur131 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Jan 2007 23:36:00 -0500
Hi Joanne,

A little correction to your use of the word "gals." I'm not a "gal" and from
the looking at the names of some other posters it would appear that some of
them aren't "gals" either.

I'm somewhat surprised that as a fulltime genealogist/historian you don't
find Virginia traditions, family history, family stories, bygone foods and
how to prepare some of them, landmarks, customs, etc. to be of significance.
I look at these posts and see the exact opposite of you -- I see posts
filled with Virginia genealogical background and history. If a person talks
about what they order in a cafe and that cafe is serving food that is no
longer generally available the way it was 50, 100, or more years ago, I find
that of great historical interest and am excited about perhaps eating there
someday. I call it preservation of the past and the more of us that know
about these places, the more likely these places will be around for awhile
longer.

I certainly believe that most scholars and historians of today and tomorrow
would find these posts enlightening. I realize that you are not included in
that group. That you are not of the same thought process as others should
not allow you to chastise those of us that have posted by implying that our
posts are better suited to private email. I firmly believe the words that I
have posted to this mailing list stand on their own merit as being "on
topic" for the list.

Just one voice of many,
Tom
Eastern Shore & More Forum