From:
Randy Cabell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 May 2003 06:09:33 -0400
How soon we forget.  As I read the story, I recall seeing it a year or so
ago.  It confirms that Handel's DEAD MARCH was at the top of the charts for
military funerals at that time.  And since a new state is introduced with
this posting (Maryland), I recall those stirring words to
'Maryland-My-Maryland' which the Southern songwriter hoped would inspire MD
to come over to our side:

"Avenge the patriotic gore,  that flecked the streets of Baltimore."

Ah, they don't write'em like they used to.  I also don't think our Maryland
bretheren have kept that particular verse in their State Song.

Randy Cabell