From:
"W. Scott Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Sep 2001 23:09:08 -0400
I was at the Smithsonian this weekend and enjoyed
an exhibit in the History Museum on the various
trades that flourished after the Revolution.

The section on Carpentry talked about mainly northern
cities, and showed a copy of the Philadelphia Carpenters
Guild handbook from the late 18th Century.

How developed was the trades system in Virginia during that
time? I'm studying a man who was a carpenter's apprentice
in Richmond from about 1793-1798 (with time out for military
service).

Any thoughts?

W. Scott Breckinridge Smith
Historic Architecture Consulting
www.wscottsmith.com
(434) 528-3995

disclosure, dissemination or distribution is strictly prohibited. If you are
not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by return
email and delete this communication and destroy all copies.