From:
Susan Barber <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Jan 2024 10:57:15 -0500
Hi, Lonny,

It looks as if you posted something about it on list back in 2001 - you
said it was in the Genealogical Acorn
 -  although that may have cited something in the W&M Quarterly.

Perhaps you could track down a copy of that article again. An interlibrary
loan from through your local library might be your best bet.

*Subject:*
Ann (Cary) Nicholas in the Rev. War
<https://listlva.lib.va.us/scripts/wa.exe?A2=VA-HIST;b1731e96.2106&FT=&P=T&H=N&S=a>
*From:*
"Lonny J. Watro" <[log in to unmask]
<https://listlva.lib.va.us/scripts/wa.exe?LOGON=A2%3DVA-HIST%3Bb1731e96.2106%26FT%3D%26P%3DT%26H%3DN%26S%3Da>

*Reply To:*
Discussion of research and writing about Virginia history <[log in to

*Date:*
Mon, 5 Feb 2001 16:34:14 -0500
*Content-Type:*
text/plain
*Parts/Attachments:*
text/plain
<https://listlva.lib.va.us/scripts/wa.exe?A3=0102&L=VA-HIST&E=quoted-printable&P=15759&B=--&T=text%2Fplain;%20charset=iso-8859-1&header=1>
(14 lines)

I have just obtained a copy of an article _Genealogical Acorn_, "The
Nicholas Family of Virginia", Vol 1, (August 1968), p. 39

In this article is the following:

"During the Revolutionary War, illness prevented Robert Carter
Nicholas from delivering, at a critical time, some very important
papers which concerned the movement of the enemy. His wife, Ann Cary
Nicholas, offered to deliver them. She concealed them in her clothing
and made the trip of one hundred and twenty-five miles. Part of the
way she was able to ride horse-back, but much of the distance she had
to walk, and pass through the lines of the enemy. However, the papers
were safely delivered. It was her courage an devotion to the cause of
liberty that save the American Army from defeat".

Is there anyone on the list who knows whether or not this is
documented anywhere else?

Thank you,
Lonny J. Watro

Susan R. Barber