From:
"Peter J. Lysy" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Jul 2003 09:58:18 -0400
I imagine Douglas is using "Confederate" as an adjective meaning done
without adequate resources and done probably quickly and with less than
perfect results. "Toilet" is used, of course, in the old-fashioned sense of
washing and dressing, combing the hair, and generally 'freshening up'.

Peter Lysy
Archivist
University of Notre Dame

>Date:    Mon, 14 Jul 2003 16:04:46 -0400
>From:    Randy Cabell <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: A Confederate Toilet
>
>In his classic "I RODE WITH STONEWALL", Henry Kyd Douglas uses the =
>phrase 'Confederate Toilet":
>
>"With waiting and delay I did not reach Waynesboro until seven o'clock =
>in the evening.  But a glass of something, a bit of supper and a =
>Confederate toilet, I was ready for another wedding....."
>
>I assume this was some sort of quick wash up, perhaps washing hands and =
>face in a bowl.  But any ideas?
>
>Randy Cabell

Peter J. Lysy
Senior Archivist and Records Center Manager

Archives of the University of Notre Dame
607 Hesburgh Library
Notre Dame, IN 46556

 voice: 574-631-4030
   fax: 574-631-7980