From:
"Lyle E. Browning" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Nov 2008 15:03:24 -0500
In your "have you stopped beating your wife yet" opener, you are again
tremendously misguided. To know anything, first one has facts, then
one strings the facts together into coherent narratives and then one
is only at the beginning. Your incredibly simplistic viewpoint doesn't
get there, sorry. If you wish to have your students have the
counterpoint to what you think are the standard dogmas regarding Nat
Turner, it is not educational to go all the way to the opposite
direction. You must reason your argument through so that your students
can learn to think for themselves. As you present Nat Turner, there is
no thinking about the various reasons he may have done what he did,
much less the context of the times for the reaction to what he did,
etc, there is only your politicized inverse. That is not an argument.
Instead of rational discussion, there are the two extremes. If your
wish is to educate, both sides need to be presented without undue bias.

We have had conversations about presentism before. Please revisit
those posts before you fire off yet another polemic. Others on this
list have suggested to you how to present a balanced and unbiased
summation of Nat Turner. If your intent is to present the info as
fully as possible, then you need way more "full" and way less
political spin. And your moral relativism is also misguided.

Your statement that the "conditions of actual slavery were much
harsher than the conditions of colonialism" has been shown not
necessarily true, if you take from it the legal basis for slavery with
all that meant. One wonders how many poor colonists came to death by
starvation, deprivation, overwork, etc. There was no master around to
ensure basic survival as there was under the peculiar institution.

Anything else I can help you with?

Lyle Browning