From:
Bob Huddleston <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Aug 2001 22:27:41 -0600
This is called the "Error of Closure" and a good pre-GIS surveyor always
had one, with the amount determined by the accuracy of the survey and
the ability of the surveyor.

Take care,

Bob

Judy and Bob Huddleston
10643 Sperry Street
Northglenn, CO  80234-3612

I am attempting to retrace a parcel boundary described in a 1701 land
patent in what is now King William County on a modern USGS map.

Would anyone know : 1) whether true North or magnetic North would have
been used in the patent description, and 2) how many degrees of
declination between true north and magnetic north was observed in the
tidewater in 1701?

I would also like to correspond with anyone - privately is probably
better - who has had experience with this kind of project. Needless to
say, so far I am having some problems getting the polygon to close. With
2 of the 13 reaches lacking a stated distance maybe I should not be too
surprised. But I am curious just how accurate these 300 year-old patent
descriptions have generally proven to be.