From:
Sunshine49 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Jan 2007 14:03:48 -0500
All this food talk made me get out my old family recipes, so before
we run out of our allotted 50 posts for today:

POPOVERS

1c. flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1 c. whole milk
2 eggs

Heat oven to 425. Grease well deep muffin cups or custard cups.
Measure flour. Beat all ingredients together with rotary beater till
just smooth. Overbeating will reduce volume. Fill muffin cups 3/4
full, or custard cups 1/2 full. Bake 40-45 minutes. Serve
immediately. [this was a favorite of my father]

*******
SOUTHERN BISCUIT RECIPE

2 c flour
2/3 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp soda
3 Tblsp. shortening
3/4 c buttermilk

Combine flour, salt, and soda. Cut in shortening until it resembles
coarse crumbs (I use two table knives- it is important to get it
crumbly, this adds to the light texture- this is also the secret to
light pie crusts). Add buttermilk and stir till well blended. Turn
onto floured board and knead lightly, 3 or 4 times. Roll to 1/2"
thickness, cut with a 2" biscuit cutter, drinking glass, or small
juice glass. Place on lightly greased baking sheet and bake at 450
for 12-15 minutes. Makes 1 dozen.

**************
UNCLE MIKE'S FUDGE

2 c sugar
1 c. canned, condensed milk
2 sq. unsweetened baking chocolate
butter the size of a walnut
1 tsp. vanilla

This is best cooked in an iron skillet. Place all ingredients in a
pan [except vanilla], mix well, boil till a bit of it forms a ball
when dropped in cold water. Remove from heat and add vanilla, beat
with a large spoon till thick. Pour into buttered pan and chill. If
unhard, reheat, add more sugar, and chill. This beating takes a long
time, we used to spell each other, but it's the best fudge ever.

************

Raleigh Tavern, Williamsburg, Gingerbread Men

Preheat oven to 350. Warm together 1/2 lb. butter, 1 c. old-fashioned
dark molasses,  and 1 c evaporated milk, blending well. Add 1 tsp.
each vanilla and lemon extracts, and 1/2 tsp. salt. Mix together 4
Tblsp ginger [yes, 4 Tblsp], 1 tsp. each cinnamon and nutmeg, 1 1/4 c
sugar, and 1 tsp. baking soda. Combine with liquid mix. Sift in 9
cups of flour, one cup at a time, stirring after each. When it
becomes stiff blend with hands till all flour is absorbed. Roll to
1/8" thick and cut out shapes. Bake 13-15 minutes or until dough
springs back lightly in center when touched. Bake round shapes 8-10
minutes.