From:
James Brothers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Oct 2008 09:46:14 -0400
It is my recollection that Washington was considered a number of
times, and went out of his way to discourage it. And that there was a
"plot" hatched by Horatio Gates(?). That was scotched by Lafayette
preempting with a toast to the United States. This may or may not have
taken place at the Golden Plough Tavern in York, PA. On the other hand
it may all be local legend.