From:
Sunshine49 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Feb 2007 21:18:10 -0500
Probably Bliley's, but there are only so many mortuaries in Richmond.
I could ask around. The cemetery might know who embalmed him. I don't
remember which one it was. He lived alone in a rental, had no other
family in Richmond, had a sister still living at the time [20 years
ago], and my husband and I drove down and met her at the bus station.
As far as I know he had no will, no property of value.  I have his
name, birth and death dates, and a general idea of his service, but
the government needs specific things, like his Social Security
number, for issuing a stone. It is free, but the cemetery charges a
fee for installing it. I've been in  touch with a cousin, he will
help with the expense. I was surprised, the government will issue
stone or bronze markers for veterans of pretty much any war. At
Shockoe Cemetery there are a few bronze markers for CSA and War of
1812 veterans. As soon as I win the lottery, I have several direct
ancestors who would qualify, I can look into it. I just thought,
since he served in WW II and was a veteran of D-Day, he deserved a
marker.

Nancy

-------
I was never lost, but I was bewildered once for three days.

--Daniel Boone