From:
"W. Scott Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Sep 2005 14:08:10 -0400
 Here is a topo map of the area:
http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?z=17&n=4162971&e=627024&s=50&size=l&datum=na
d83&layer=DRG25

I seem to recall that an old building still exists at Gilmore Mills, but I
was in a canoe, so didn't have time to check it out. If you look at the topo
map (link above), you will see Gilmore Mills in the right hand corner (where
Cedar Creek comes into the James).

Towards the lower left hand corner, the Botetourt/Rockbridge boundary comes
down toward the river at an angle. The Civil War map that was referred to
shows this line continuing across the James (I don't know if the CW
topographical engineer was wrong of if there was a boundary change after the
war).

The Civil War map shows a "Capt. Gilmore" residence on the south bank of the
James, just east of this boundary.

Backing out one notch on the topo map shows a "Gilmore Hollow" just to the
south of this area. The stream in that hollow should enter the James near
"Capt. Gilmore's" house.

On the topo map, there is a building and several outbuildings in this area
(very close the the railroad tracks...a dirt road runs down to the from
State Route 790). Another point of reference is Springfield in the upper
section of this map...Springfield appears on the CW map as well.
 http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=37.605&lon=-79.5609&datum=nad83

If you want to know how cool/scary technology can be, I can share the name
and mailing address of the owner of this 246 acre property and dwelling off
list.

Now, is this the right house? I don't know, but it might be a start.

W. Scott Breckinridge Smith
The Antiquaries, LLC
Post Office Box 75, Lynchburg, Virga. 24505
H:434-528-3995 M:434-401-3995  www.TheAntiquaries.com

Signup at www.doteasy.com