From:
ned heite <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Apr 2001 20:58:15 -0400
Mr. Barger:

Again, I fail to see where anyone has failed to "uphold our founding
fathers" in this matter.

Historical fact is historical fact. Any contribution to our
understanding of history should be welcomed, discussed, evaluated,
and either accepted or rejected, but only on the basis of objective
consideration. Personal opinions, prejudices, and ethnic attitudes
should have no bearing whatever on the matter.

I'm sorry that you feel as you do, but you should really step back
and try to consider the material as presented, without coloring from
your own rather obvious prejudices.

Injecting emotions into this matter will contribute nothing to the
cause of historical research, and certainly will not enhance the
image of one of America's premier scientists and statesmen. It's not
an insult, or an attempt to put him down, if some of his supposed
descendants seek to verify a longstanding and "notorious" family
legend, using the newest technologies.

Jefferson's status cannot be diminished by revelation of anything in
his private life. Certainly our greatest presidents have had some
pretty interesting private lives. As one of them said, "Here I stand,
warts and all."