From:
Randy Cabell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Randy Cabell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Sep 2004 07:30:58 -0400
A couple of years ago when I was adding photos and sound clips to the family genealogy file, I realized the complete lack of sound.  I have a photo from 1863 of my GGrandfather, Capt Hugh McGure, CSA, and of course lots of photos of folks since then.  But I do not even have a recording of the voices of my Father or Mother!

Consequently, when I read a very nice response from Edward Campbell @ the Library of Virginia about them NOT having any recordings of Virginia Music, it occurred what a terrible void this is.  I appreciate budget constraints, limited resources, and I am not beating on the LOF.  On the other hand, I find it disheartning that there is apparently no place I can go and 'listen through' Virginia musicians like Patsy Cline, the wealth of folk singers from the Bristol area, Virginia brass bands, et al.

Does anybody know of any Virginia instutions that have committed to preserve the audio part of our Virginia musical heritage?

Randy Cabell
Band of the 19th Virginia Heavy Arty Bn