From:
Barrett Decker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Jun 2007 00:44:56 -0400
Hi- I have a question that I have wondered about for a long time. Perhaps
one of the "ironmasters" has the answer. I have run across a type of grey
metal produced between 1780-1850  that seems to be rust proof- one item, a
firming chisel lost prior to the WBTS and found about a hundred years later
in a rubble stone wall where it had fallen between two of the rocks with no
apparent rust, the other, the large ringbolts in the stones above the last
lock on the downstream end of the Va canal around Great Falls that were used
to anchor stabilizing ropes down to the boat in the lock as it descended to
the river level- also rust free since 1790- the mention of titanium in the
ore from the Albemarle IW got me thinking about it- any thoughts?
Thanks-Barrett

Barrett  Decker   [log in to unmask]