From:
Anne Pemberton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Feb 2002 19:50:09 -0500
Deane,

         Do you have any basis for your presumption on what is taught in
high school? Have you looked at the Virginia SOLs? If not, they are at
http://www.pen.k12.va.us/VDOE/Instruction/historysol2001.pdf and include
the civil war period in 4th grade Virginia studies, 5th grade American
history and again in high school US History. There's enough substance there
to keep kids and teachers very busy.

         As for the notion that southerners were "evil", that was not
taught even in my history class "up north" . Southerners were misguided in
their use of slaves, since free labor is better for all Americans (albeit
inconvenient to slaveholders). What was not taught "up north" were the
"evil" Jim Crow laws - I had to learn that from tv during the time of Civil
Rights activities and my subsequent move to Virginia.

         If the north had thought of southerners as "evil" either then or
now, we wouldn't have wanted so badly to keep them in the family.  The
south, after all, is only recently becoming a strong economic region
compared to the industrial states.

                                         Anne

Anne Pemberton

http://www.erols.com/stevepem