From:
Clara Callahan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Mar 2007 14:48:33 -0800
Ms Pemberton, I have not once seen you back away from championing Indians or slaves, so it's hard to picture you as someone who hasn't stated an opinion because someone else happened to have said the same thing.  In fact, it has been my experience on this list that you and those who believe as intensely as you tend to travel and communicate in packs.  I've had you after me, so I know whereof I speak.  I may not agree with alot of what you say, but I admire your spunk.  There have been some pretty nasty comments about the Cherokee and you have said nothing.  There has to be a reason because your silence is totally out of character.  Either you can't bear the thought of agreeing with me on anything or you can't figure out how to or just can't bring yourself to criticize one of the groups of people you normally so vigorously defend.  I imagine it would be difficult to criticize either of two groups of people who, until now, seemingly could do no wrong.  But people are people,
 ma'am, no matter their ethnicity, and no one deserves special treatment because of their color.

Anne Pemberton <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
  Clara,

I choose my battles. Anything I could have added, has already been said by
someone in the discussion. I can only add that hubby and I went to Cherokee
in NC several years ago and plan a return visit with more time and money to
spend. My husband learned about the Trail of Tears for the first time, and
was, himself, moved to tears as he moved through the exhibit.

Anne Pemberton
http://www.erols.com/apembert
http://www.educationalsynthesis.org